Monday, July 04, 2005

4 JUL 05: 4th of JULY in Iraq

So what do patrotic soldiers do for the 4th of july. Nothing really. We were treated to Speech by GEN Casey. Then there was a cake cutting. But like Milton (obscure movie refrence) by the time I got inposition to get a piece of cake It was all gone.

The people who decorated the DFAC did it all in red white in blue. I even noticed the drudge report was in red white and blue font. I did my normal routine went to work went to the gym then taught boxing that night with the help of SGT Micotta.

But no fireworks. Except for the sounds of gun fire in the distance as I slept.

Never forget how good you have got it back home. Fireworks. hamburgers. friends, family, sports.

My question is will there be someone to take my when this chapter of my life closes?

my thoughts are much better expressed by a much better writer than I.

I have a far better understanding of this speech then I have ever had before.
If you want to read the whole thing read Henry the V by Shakespeare.
little known fact after Henry won the war he died of dysentry 7 years after winning. The dysentry he got in the war with France. Freedom and peace have a cost and it always paid for in blood.

Thanks God our forefathers loved freedom.

"That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home