Wednesday, June 08, 2005

08 JUN 05: The Longest day

Well Monday started as usual at 0400 on my normal schedule. I was at work by 0700 tenatively waiting for 2 of our guys to come back fromt their block leave. So I worked all day but they did not come in during normal work hours. Our section here said they would fly into Iraq at 2100 on monday 6 jun. Well this conflicts with when I instruct the boxing class on monday night. So I went to boxing since my MAJ said he would pick them up at the airport. Moments before boxing class started my MAJ showed up and handed me the keys and said that I need to go to BIAP and pick up our 2 guys at the airport at 0030. Since boxing class usually lasts until about 2200 I did not see the value of going to sleep for an hour. So I stayed up. Went down to the Airport at 0000 hrs.

the problem was the flight did not come in until 0130. That is not so bad except our guys did not get off the plane. That is a problem. On further investigation my guys were bumped and would not be in until 0330 am. I waited. Then I was told the boys would be in at 0530. I waited. Once again my boys did not get off the plane.
So I drove back to the palace. Dead dog tired would be an understatment. I narrowly avoided a wreck with a dump truck. But I made it home. I got back and asked to go to sleep. Well that was a no go because we had people who had to get to the helopad. So I went and showered and then went and picked up some new guys and took them to the helo pad. Then I came back to work.

The missing part of the story. See what sleep deprevations does to you your are never the same after that.

So here I am dragging myself back into work after droping someone off at the helo pad. I get back up as it down. I look at my boss, the bags under my eyes clearly visible in combination with two second blinks. The the boss says.... Oh yeah in an hour you gotta go back up to Biap and pick up the guys they are finally coming in. Great. So I wait two hours and get in the truck drive to BIAP and pick up my guys. Take him to his trailer in our trailer park and drop him off. Then you guessed. I went back to work. where I worked until my normal time of 1900. Then I went I went to bed. So that was one of the longest days I have had here in Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home