Wednesday, April 20, 2005

20 APR 05: Basrah part 2

Basra. Well due to time constraints we had to go right from the airport to the chow hall on the British base. So we go drive like the ¾ of a mi from the airport to the Brit base. So we walk up to the base guard flash our badges go and get something to eat.

So keep in mind that all the coalition forces have contracted help to help them get the little things done. Like we pay people to make our meals so that we don’t have to have soldiers cooking and the soldiers can concentrate on fighting bad guys everywhere that we can find them. So we go in the chow hall and I got introduced to british food. It was not bad. Some of it was very similar but just a little different. But hey I can always find something to eat. Not to mention I can always stand to skip a meal. Missing meals keeps your mean. Nothing wrong with that.

So while we all at dinner I pulled out my little pocket camera and made a movie over dinner. SPC Berlin made sure I got some screen time. Usually I don’t get much screen time cause I am usually directing the action. But Berlin took care of me. So then we go to the transient billeting office. There we get our rooms and we head over to the room they gave us; which is a compartmentalized square box that sleeps like 12. So it was not that bad. It even had mattresses. So the next morning we got up and showered.

Now here is where things get different. Not good or bad just different. For instance, like the shower thing. They take navy sea showers as us army guys call it. You get one minute of water split in two. So 30 seconds to get wet. Then you turn off the water and then soap up. Then you get 30 seconds to rinse. Now having boxed and kick boxed for years you learn real quick that a minute is along time. So I had no problems then I shave and get dressed. A little later Berlin comes in and says. Sir, I want to get some pictures of the Brits. I say okay. Boy did I have no idea what was I getting myself into.

So we start our day. We know full well that the rest of the day will be Death by PowerPoint. That is army from you are going to go to a bunch of meetings where you will sit and view Power point slide after power point slide until you want to use your weapon on yourself.

So we go to breakfast. They have eggs no bacon, deep fried toast. And something looks like French toast. Hey just thinking we can’t we rename that food to like freedom toast or something. Sorry I am still holding a grudge. I am sure I will get over it some day. So I go through the line and then the condiment line and then I go grab a seat. Then it hits me crap I forgot syrup. Argghh!!!!!! No biggie I will go back. After searching everywhere. I realized there was a reason that I did not get any syrup there was none. I guess the Brits don’t do syrup. Okay no biggie I will live at least I got some food.

So then we go out and get on the bus to go over to the operation center. Another heavily guarded compound. So we leave the compound and get on a tour bus. Which I say was very nice touch. Very civilized. But we only rode in the think like half a mile. I walk farther than that to go eat. So I got kind of a chuckle. So we get to the British compound and Berlin starts talking to any Brit he can find. Well not any Brit any attractive British

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home